Building Inspections

The Building/Fire Official provides inspection services in order to protect the health, safety, and property of the residents and businesses by enforcing the provisions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code in an efficient manner.

The first step in ANY development or construction project is to fill out and submit an application for permit(s). The application contains the necessary information to process a permit request. Submitted along with the project documentation (plans, drawings, etc.), the application will be reviewed to determine if the proposed construction meets the applicable standards and requirements.

What Requires a Building Permit

If you are considering construction, reconstruction, altering, or demolishing a structure; changing the use of a structure; removing or disturbing any asbestos containing materials; or moving a lot line which affects an existing structure’s continued compliance with the building regulations under which is was built, you will need to apply for a building permit.

Permit Requirement Exemptions

  • Parking lots and sidewalks which are not a part of an accessible route.
  • Recreational Equipment such as swing sets, sliding boards, climbing bars, jungle gyms, skateboard ramps and similar equipment when installed for private use.
  • Farm buildings not used for residential purpose.
  • Installation of wiring and equipment which operates at less than 50 volts except in any case when the installation involves fire rated or protected assemblies or equipment.
  • Detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, when under 256 square feet of building area.
  • Tents and air supported structures that cover an area of 900 square feet or less and with an occupant load of 50 persons or less.
  • Fences not part of the barrier for a swimming pool, and retaining walls are 4′ in height or less. Concrete walls less than 6′ in height.
  • Swimming pools that are 150 square feet or less in surface area, and 5,000 gallons or less of water capacity, and 24″ or less in depth.
  • Replacement of mechanical and plumbing equipment and appliances and except those fueled by gas or oil in most residential dwellings.
  • Replacement of roof coverings and installation or replacement of siding on residential structures.
  • Replacement of floor coverings and porch flooring.
  • Painting, repair of plaster, interior tile or other wall coverings.
  • Replacement of windows, doors, electrical switches, outlets, light fixtures and ceiling fans in residential dwellings.
  • Bolt together metal carports, when not installed on a permanent foundation, less than 240 square feet.

Building permits are required for preassembled structures such as manufactured and modular homes.

Who is responsible to get the Permit(s)?

It is the responsibility of the property owner or the owners designated agent to obtain the necessary permit(s), and it is the responsibility of the permit holder to call for the required inspections.

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Brian Petty Building/Fire Official 434.634.6315